Fresh faces meet new stage

Miranda Munoz (9) sings with the chorus during practice. Each rehearsal, the actors practice their songs in the choir room.

As the musical performance dates creep closer, the cast and crew get ready to open the curtains on their new stage.

“I think [rehearsals] are going really well. We are getting a lot of stuff done, and what I have seen so far is really good. I think, personally, the dancing is going to be a hard thing for me to do. I’m not a dancer. I’m more of a singer,” Katherine Morzy (9) said.

The switch from the old auditorium to the new one has created some problems. While the actors work hard to try to perfect their singing and dancing, the crew takes on the daunting task of learning how to use the updated equipment.

“I would say the learning curve [is the biggest problem]. With scenery, we can use battens now, and that is such a different way we can do sets instead of rolling everything on stage. The five different scenery battens we have is a whole new ball game for us and is pretty exciting. [For] lighting, I don’t know if they will use the intelligent lighting yet, but we do have the capability of [using it]. The equipment we have is so much more state-of-the-art than what we had before. There is so much that we can do, but we are not going to be able to do everything that we are capable of doing. As we go [on], we will get to know everything better and be able to utilize it to its full capability,” Mrs. Pam Neth, English, said.  

The updated auditorium is not the only new addition to the theater. Freshmen get a chance to show their talents as they are introduced to a larger theater company.

“I was really nervous [to try out]. Auditions were scary. Being a freshman you feel like a small fish in a big pond. You feel like everyone is more experienced more talented, so it was really daunting to audition. I was really nervous to come in during rehearsals, but it is not that bad. Everyone is actually really nice,” Morzy said.