Varsity softball smashes Munster

Varsity players strategize with Coach Jeff Sherman, Math. The team beat Munster 9-3.

On Tuesday, March 29, the varsity softball team faced the Munster Mustangs. The girls brought home a win in seven innings with a final score 9-3.

“It went really well. We started off very strong. In the [first] inning we got a home run, and from there we had a rally of five [home runs in the third inning] and three [home runs in the sixth inning],” Haylee Sherlund (12) said.

Last year, the varsity team tied with Munster, making some players anxious, but the team believes that they played well despite last year’s tie.

“[Munster] has a really good hitting team. They’re definitely powerful, so I wanted to keep the ball low. No home runs was one of our goals, and I think we did really well against them. They have a lot of older players so as a young team we did really well,” Julia Schassburger (12) said.

The team is looking forward to the coming season with high hopes.

“I feel like we’re a young team, but with this win in front of us I think we will have a good season. [Making it to State] is the goal, [and] I think we could. We’re definitely a strong team even though we’re younger. We have four seniors, but we definitely have the ability to, ” Schassburger said.

The girls’ next game is March 30 against the Chesterton Trojans at Chesterton High School.