Two times the track

Katelyn Rusiniak (10) takes off to an early lead against Merrillville and Crown Point in the 100-meter sprint. Rusiniak also participated in the long jump, 200-meter sprint and the 4×100 relay.

The girls varsity track team hosted their first conference meet of the season against the Crown Point Bulldogs and the Merrillville Pirates. The team defeated Crown Point 79-53 and Merrillville 109-23. With it still being early in the season, the girls know that there is still a lot to improve on.

“All of our relays can always improve on our times. Individually, I think we can finish our races a little stronger,” Nicole Verdeyen (12) said.

Alexandria Tyler (12) participated in high jump, 100-meter hurdles, 300-meter hurdles and was the second leg in the 4×400 relay.

“I’m pretty happy [with my results yesterday]. In high jump, I beat the girl [who] is second in State. [We can improve on] a lot of our girls dropping times and just making sure we keep our winning streak going in the season,” Tyler said.

The team’s next meet will be Tuesday, April 19, on the road against the Michigan City Wolves.