Back(hand) at it again with the win

Kristina+Tinsley+%2811%29+and+Skylar+Martens+%2811%29+share+a+laugh+in+the+huddle.+The+team+won+against+Highland+with+a+score+of+4-1.+
Kristina Tinsley (11) and Skylar Martens (11) share a laugh in the huddle. The team won against Highland with a score of 4-1.

With the first home game in the books, the tennis team kept their undefeated record with a 4-1 win against Highland on Friday, April 19.

“We did really well against Highland and I’m really proud of all the girls on the team. We’ve been working really hard and it’s paying off so far,” Claire Gronek (10) said.

With a games on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and a varsity tournament on Saturday, keeping up energy was important.

“I think [the packed schedule] gave some girls motivation because [Friday’s game] was the last match of the week,” Skylar Martens (11) said.

While the team’s season has been successful, there is still room for improvement all around.

“[I think we need to improve on] putting balls away. We need to get aggressive and more offensive; cut twenty ball rallies down to six,” Kristina Tinsley (11) said.  

Players not only see room for team improvement, but many hope to better themselves individually this season.

“I need to work on my doubles strategy. I used to be a singles player and I’m still kind of stuck in that mentality. I need to start playing like I have a partner on the court with me,” Anna Wachowski (11) said.

Goals for the season extend past improvement, with postseason dreams for the future.

“As a team we really hope to do well in the DAC and possibly win Sectionals. My biggest goal is to beat Crown Point because they were my biggest competition last year,” Gronek said.

As the season moves full steam ahead, so does the competition.

“Our season gets harder towards the end of the season, so I’m looking forward to that,” Tinsley said.