Triumph on the new track

Nick Lucas (11) jumps over a hurdle during the 300-meter hurdles event. Lucas received second place with a time of 44.87 seconds.

The varsity boys track team hosted their first meet of the season against the Michigan City Wolves on Tuesday, April 19. Not only was this the first home meet, it was also the first meet the boys held at the new facility. The Indians won with a score of 78-54 to start off strong in the DAC.

“I think [the meet] went pretty well. We won the meet, which was our first win in the DAC this year. We won all the distance events, we did well on the throws I know and we had some good results in the pole vault,” Clayton Goldman (12) said.

Goldman received first place in the 400-meter dash and the 4×400 meter relay alongside Cole Easterday (12), Tyler Kramer-Stephens (12) and Antonio Pavloski (11).  Also gaining points for the Indians was Cameron Prisby (12) who received second place in pole vaulting.

“I jumped 12 feet that day, which got me second place. I was fine [with] that, but I definitely could have done better and gotten 12 feet, 6 inches. Based on this meet, we could better prepare ourselves for the upcoming meets by trying new things like going on different poles during practice and trying different drills at practice. The most important thing is practice, practice, practice,” Prisby said.

The next boys varsity track meet will take place on April 26 at Chesterton High School.