Varsity football gets new face at head coach

Tony+Bartolomeo%2C+Science%2C+took+over+as+head+coach+of+the+varsity+football+team+on+Tuesday%2C+Sept.+13.+The+team+was+defeated+by+the+LaPorte+Slicers+in+his+first+game%2C+with+a+final+score+of+35-17.+
Tony Bartolomeo, Science, took over as head coach of the varsity football team on Tuesday, Sept. 13. The team was defeated by the LaPorte Slicers in his first game, with a final score of 35-17.

For the first time since 2010, the varsity football team has a new head coach. On Tuesday, Sept. 13, athletic director Chris Enyeart confirmed that former head coach Brett St. Germain would be stepping down (no timetable given for how long) and that Tony Bartolomeo, Science, would be taking over.

Despite the sudden change, there has been no loss of motivation or fight for this season.

“We are putting all our energy right now into bonding as a team, staying a family and getting better each practice and game. Our goal is to win the sectional championship, so every week [and] day, we are trying to take a step in that direction,” Bartolomeo said.

With any change in coaching, it is hard to gain the respect of players, but Bartolomeo understands that the best way to do that is by executing their game plan. After a 1-4 start to season, the only thing that matters to the team is turning the season around and producing more wins.  

“I just stand in front of the kids, and I have to talk the talk and walk the walk. When you go through hard times as a group, you share a bond. We’ve come together, and we’ve united with each other to meet our goal,” Bartolomeo said.

Regardless of the change in staff, one thing remains the same: the players. The group of 70 students still understand their individual roles. Leaders such as Nicholas Lucas (12), Joshua Benson (12) and Jackson Long (11) must continue their outstanding play this season to keep the team focused and ready to play on each down.

“Really, it’s 11 guys on each play. If we have one breakdown, good things don’t happen. The overall key to turning around the season is going to be a commitment to work hard and a commitment to shut out the outside noises and stay together as a family. If we stay positive and understand what our goal was when the ship left the port, which was the sectional championship, this team will be fine,” Bartolomeo said.

The team’s next game will be Friday, Sept. 23, against Michigan City.