Q&A: Ms. Amy Parker, School Psychologist

Ms. Amy Parker, School Psychologist, stands in front of old psychology test cards. The test cards were passed down to her from the past school psychologist.

Q: How do you view your role as the school’s psychologist?

A: The big picture of my job consists of supporting all students with their social [and] emotional well being, which also impacts academic performance. I don’t always work with students directly, but I play a supportive role.

Q: What kind of issues can students come to you with?

A: If students have any issues regarding social [and] emotional health, they can always come down to me. It can be as minor as they are struggling with something right now or something that has been going on for a long time. Along with me, there are two school service providers, so sometimes if there’s an issue where a student needs ongoing support, I can help refer them to someone in the school that they can meet with on a regular basis.

Q: What is a school service provider?

A: They function almost as a school social worker, but they don’t necessarily have a social degree, so they are in between a guidance counselor and a social worker.

Q: How can students schedule to talk to you?

A: The easiest way to schedule is probably to email us, since I know all students have an email. Another way is you could just pop down to guidance or the main office and write a note asking to see one of us, and we will send you a pass.

Q: What does your job as school psychologist consist of daily?

A:  My schedule here at the high school depends. Some days, I’m in meetings with parents, teachers or staff. Sometimes I’m working directly with students and others I’m writing up reports.

Q: Is there anything else you want students to know about you?

A: What I want students to know is that while they may not have known I or the school service providers existed, we are here and we would love to support any student that needs help.