Indians vs Indians

Madison Dulski (9) makes an attempt to shoot. She jumped into a Portage player in order to score the points.

On Saturday Jan. 14, the girls JV basketball team faced off against the Portage Indians. Even though coach Jeanette Gray (Mathematics) believed the game would be difficult, Lake Central took a win with a final score of 42-18.  

“Portage has always been a tough matchup for us. I thought our girls played together and with an amazing pace. They were really fast getting up and down the floor. They shared the ball really well,” Gray said.

The beginning of the game was rough for the Lake Central. Portage played much more aggressive than the team had expected.

“We weren’t expecting it. We were used to playing teams that were more relaxed. Once they came out more aggressive, we had to step up and work harder,” Meghan Long (10) said.

As the game progressed, the team was able to step up their game. They fixed their mistakes and made a change in their defensive plays.

“Once the third and fourth quarter came, that’s when we put our foot down, and we weren’t going to let [Portage] think they even have a chance” Long (10) said.

Their rough start turned into an high scoring game. The team played fixed their mistakes and took home a big win against the Portage Indians. The team plays again on Wednesday Jan. 18. They have four games left in the season.

“This team really works well together. They like playing with each other. They are fun to watch. I just really enjoy watching them get better as the season goes on,” Gray said.