The start of Sectionals

Rachael Robards (11) goes up for a layup against the Hammond Govs. Robards was one of the leading scorers.

On Wednesday, Jan. 25, the varsity girls basketball team went up against Hammond Morton High School. The Lady Indians ended the game with one of their all time highs with a score of  69-53. Even though the team won by 16 points, they still struggled with their weaknesses throughout the game.

“Our biggest struggle was getting into gaps and turning the ball over,” Rachael Robards (11) said.

The girls have been preparing all summer and fall for their games, but they made sure to prepare extra hard to secure the win over Morton.

“We reviewed this team, and we went over all their stuff in practice,” Robards said.

By the girls preparing for the Govs, it helped them focus on their main game plan of winning, which was not their only game plan.

“We planned to get into the gaps to help us prepare for Wednesday, [the beginning of the playoffs],” Lauren Smolen (11) said.

The girls won by executing their game plan, but they have bigger goals in mind. They face their biggest competitor, East Chicago, on Wednesday, Feb. 1, for the start of sectionals. The Lady Indians will be preparing and setting a new game plan for Wednesday night.

“Our game plan will be to play good defense, get into the gaps, box out and not give them second shots,” Lauren Ladowski (11) said.