Patience leads the way for the Tribe

Zachary Dobos (10) pushes up against an East Chicago player in hopes of forcing a turnover. This was the first East Chicago game since the varsity girls Sectional basketball battle.

On Wednesday, Feb. 1 the varsity girls basketball team took on the East Chicago in a hard-fought Sectional match-up. Less than a week later, the team hosted the Cardinals for the first time since the girl’s game, and it was clear the rivalry was still thriving.

After an extremely back and forth game, the Indians were able to take a three-point lead at halftime and stretch to a victory with a final score of 39-33.

“[East Chicago] said they wanted revenge. They said they were coming for revenge and they said they were going to beat us so that just adds extra motivation,” Dawson Cheney (10) said.

The team was very patient on offense and made sure they always got the shot they were looking for. As the season has progressed, the team has grown as well with their intelligence on the court.

“We moved the ball around a lot and got some good shots. We lost a couple games before this and just wanted to pull out a ‘W’,” Joshua Graziano (10).

Along with the great offense, the defense stepped up and was able to hold the Cardinals offense to one of their lowest scoring outputs this season.

“Our defense was amazing. That was the best we’ve played all year on defense,” Cheney said.

The next game for the boys will be on Friday, Feb. 10 on the road against the Michigan City Wolverines.