Varsity baseball snags 3-0 win over Homewood-Flossmoor

Jarrett Lopez (12) makes an out at home in the fifth inning. The out allowed no runs for Homewood-Flossmoor in the 3-0 win for Lake Central.

On April 13, Lake Central squared off at home against Homewood-Flossmoor. The Indians defeated the Vikings 3-0. Winning pitcher Zachary Dobos (10) walked two batters and struck out three in six shutout innings of work. The start marks Dobos’ second time pitching for varsity.

“[This outing] felt a lot better than the first one. The first [outing] I was a little nervous because [it was] my first varsity pitching performance, but today I came out confident. I felt really happy, honestly. I was thinking about throwing strikes, getting outs and letting my fielders field,” Dobos said.

The Indians first scored in the fourth with a double from Hunter Mihalic (12). The team scored again in the fifth with a double from Benjamin Nisle (12) and in the sixth with a single from Nicholas Bandura (12). Outfield errors made by Homewood-Flossmoor gave an opportunity for the Indians to break a three inning stalemate.

“You’ve got to be aggressive out here in this big outfield. [Homewood-Flossmoor] let some things drop in [the outfield] that I don’t think our outfield would have and that turned out to be the difference of the game,” Coach Mike Swartzentruber, Business, said.

According to Coach Schwartzentruber, the team has only made five errors in eight games. An errorless game and strong defense were crucial to the Indians’ victory.

“[The win was] just a good team effort. [It was a] well pitched game and we did enough offensively. We’ve won four in a row, so hopefully we will keep this thing going,” Coach Schwartzentruber said.