Putting Econ to the Challenge

Matthew Mireles (12), Lauren Davidson (11) and Hannah Souronis (12) appear perplexed after they were asked a trivia question. Winners of the round received Subway gift cards.

On April 14, Econ lovers headed east to the Indiana Economics Challenge held at Indiana University South Bend. The competition determined a Regional State winner who could then qualify for the National Competition in New York City.

“The Econ Challenge was a one-day event where you competed against several teams from schools across the state in multiple choice tests. The top two teams then competed in a final head-to-head round in front of an audience to determine a winner,” Brandon Hernandez (12) said.

The competition was open to any Indiana high school students enrolled in an economics class that school year. It was divided into two divisions: David Ricardo for students in regular classes and Adam Smith for students in AP, IB or Honors. Eighteen students represented the school, with three teams in Adam Smith and one in David Ricardo.

“It was definitely a challenge even though in regular Economics we learn micro and macro because we don’t get super in depth into each. But, it was a good experience overall and a lot of fun competing against students from other schools,” Madeline Jurek (12) said.

Students took three separate multiple choice tests over an hour and a half time period: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Current Events Potpourri. All the team members scores were added together and the two highest scoring teams from each division proceeded to the finals.

“The Macroeconomics test was probably the hardest since all the people on our team had only taken Microeconomics. We knew going in that it’d be hard for us to qualify for the finals, so we just did the best we could,” Hernandez said.

While no Lake Central students made it to the final, some were chosen to compete in a trivia round and had the chance to win gift cards.

“I thought it was fun to watch other people go up for the trivia round, but when I had to go up I was too scared to talk in front of all the people so I just didn’t answer,” Lauren Davidson (11)  said.

The day might have not ended with first place ribbons, but students agree that they did get something out of the field trip.

“As a student that’s only in Microeconomics, I was able to learn some things about Macroeconomics and how they applied to the real world. I wish I could go again next year,” Stefan Krajisnik (12) said.