Q&A with Giulia Marciano (9)

Giulia Marciano (9) smiles for the camera. Marciano was in color guard and liked it so much she decided to do it again.

Q: What’s new about this summer with color guard?

A: Every season we have a new theme and new costume.

Q: How do you feel that it’s taking up most of your summer?

A: I’m sad that I won’t be able to see my non-band/colorguard friends often, but it gives me something to do.

Q: What do you do in color guard?

A: Color guard contains a dance component, but we also use equipment such as, flag, rifle and saber.

Q: Is it weird seeing the same people all the time?

A: Not at all. You get close with people you don’t really know and it’s a great way to make new friends. The only issue is that seeing the same people constantly can result in drama and if you don’t like someone you have to learn how to deal with seeing them for hours at a time.

Q: How long are practices usually?

A: During the summer we have band camp which is 10 hours long (8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) the practices get shorter as we begin the school year, roughly around 3 hours the majority of the time, on school nights. Practices on Saturdays are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Q: What’s the difference between color guard and winter guard?

A: Color guard involves the marching band and is performed on a football field while winter guard is with just guard and no marching band.

Q: Why is color guard fun for you?

A: It keeps me busy, and I get to see friends. Competitions are also a load of fun it’s exciting to see how far everyone has come since the beginning of the season.

Q: Do you condition for it and how so?

A: Yes, we condition by running and doing workouts such as ab and leg exercises.

Q: How do you decide what costumes to wear?

A: The show designers choose our costumes. The costumes go along with the theme of the show.

Q: Do you get to go on trips and where to?

A: Yes, we take trips to Lafayette Jefferson, Toledo, Lincoln Way High school, Chesterton, Ben Davis and Lucas Oil Stadium.

Q: How much water do you consume in a day after you finish practicing?

A:We all carry a water jug which holds half a gallon of water, so I consume roughly half a gallon throughout the day.