From Swine to Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

From Swine to Students

Jamie Zega and lakecentralnews

Stuffed giraffes, pigs and other animals greet students upon walking into A109, but then there are the dead animals: pigeons, sharks and frogs.

The latter are just some of the animals dissected in Zoology, which is taught by a student-favorite, Miss Christine Johnson, Science.

“She’s a really great teacher- one of my favorites. She was always really lively and knew how to make us remember things. Her stories were funny, and that class only confirmed that I want to major in zoology,” Leanne Mroz (10) said.

So what makes Miss Johnson so great? After getting a degree in Animal Sciences at Purdue-West Lafayette, she decided to go into teaching and sharing her love for animals with her students.

“My grandpa was a big animal lover. My mom was an animal lover, and it came down to me- I think it’s in my genes as an animal enthusiast,” Miss Johnson said.

While studying at Purdue, Miss Johnson started in Pre-Veterinary studies but did not find it as enjoyable as she thought it would be, so she went into research.

“[Students love when] I tell stories from the pig farm with my research, the creepy things I’ve seen things do and people do to pigs [and] my drives to slaughterhouses to pick up [pig] ovaries,” Miss Johnson said.

Other things Miss Johnson does to keep her students awake and active are going on crazy tangents, projecting lots of energy and dancing.

“I do dances. I make up dance moves for things like how a shark breathes, called the countercurrent gas exchange,” Miss Johnson said.

But all entertainment aside, learning is still what counts in Miss Johnson’s classroom.

“My passion is animals, and I love sharing that knowledge. I’ll make a fool of myself if it means they’re gonna learn. That’s what I’m here for. I’m here to teach,” Miss Johnson said.