Gymnastics first home meet

Sophia Born (11) and Gabriella DeVries (11) stand on the podium. The meet lasted two and a half hours.

On Thursday, Jan. 25, the JV and varsity gymnastics team competed against Crown Point for their first home meet of the season. The meet included vault, beam, uneven bars and floor. The girls lost with a score of 107.2-102.8.

“I feel pretty good about [the outcome of the meet] considering it was our first home meet. We had a few injuries before the meet even started but we recovered and did pretty well overall,” Madison Mullens (11) said.

Even with a tough loss, the girls commitment showed throughout the meet and placing ceremony with many of the girls making it onto the podium.

“I think I performed very well. I’m proud of myself for getting my highest scores on beam and vault. I definitely need work on staying on the beam, and I think the team overall can improve on that also,” Jennifer Campos (11) said.

The girls didn’t let a loss bring them done since they know that there are many more chances for a win at home, with meets coming up in the future.

“I think [having a home meet] makes you feel calmer because you’re familiar with your surroundings and the equipment and you know how everything feels. It’s much more comfortable, it almost feels like a practice so it’s less stressful,” Mullens said.

Varsity’s next meet will be on Feb. 3 against Merrillville at Merrillville and JV’s next meet will be on Feb. 6 against Chesterton at home.