Battling the Region Rivalry

The student section cheers during the game. The boys play Munster in the next round of Sectionals.

With 2:50 left in the game, the Lake Central basketball team was up, but barely. After leading by over a 15 point margin, the gap closed when the Bulldogs came back. Nine points ahead, Lake Central’s student section starts chanting and two minutes later, the Indians defeated one of their main rivals, Crown Point, defeating them 40-29.

“This gives us a lot of momentum coming into Friday and hopefully Saturday night too. It feels very special. It is the first time we have beat Crown Point in my four years of high school [and] it means a lot more in Sectionals. Goals are just keep playing like we have been playing and cut down some nets Saturday night,” Conner Tomasic (12) said.

After a grueling match during the regular season against Crown Point only losing by two, the team defeated the Bulldogs in their second face off.

“It always feels great, but doing it in front of our fans and our gym was special to win the first one. To win our first game around our fans that have been unbelievable this year really meant a lot. I am going to sleep better this summer. It is always tough when you lose to a rival and you got all year to think about it,” Coach Dave Milausnic, Mathematics said.

This is the first time Lake Central has hosted Sectionals for basketball. A key point in the game occurred when Nicholas Anderson (10) drained a three at the end of the first half bringing their lead to double digits.

“It was a pretty big shot and [it] put us up double digits. We kept [the lead] the whole rest of the game. [There is] just always something about Lake Central [and] Crown Point, you grow up with the rivalry. To be a part of it now is amazing. First time in our Sectionals we beat them on home floor to advance and hopefully play Munster next. It’s a good feeling,” Anderson said.

The boys will proceed to play Munster High School on Friday, March 2, bringing another Region rivalry.

“This is going to be a pretty big game as well. It’s another rivalry game, it is another redemption game and hopefully a lot like last year we lost to them in the regular season and come on top on Friday night. It is going to be a tough game, it is a pretty even Sectional,” Coach Milausnic said.