Scouting the girls varsity tennis season

The girls tennis team huddles before a match. The team won their first Sectional championship in 14 years last season. Photo By: Camille Bereolos

It is a season of rebuilding for the girls tennis team. After losing four of their seven starters last year including No. 1 Singles player Kristina Tinsley (‘17), there are four open spots on the varsity roster.

The girls return three starters from the Regional runner-up team. Claire Gronek (12) and Colette Oboy (12) at No. 1 Doubles and Danica Mileusnic (11) at No. 1 Singles.

The 2017 highly anticipated Sectional title, after a 14 year Sectional drought, was the highlight of the 2017 season. After losing to Crown Point in the regular season 4-1, a quick change in the lineup led the Indians to prevail in Sectionals.

The girls were ranked sixth in the NWI Prep’s Preseason rankings, much lower than their ranking of No. 2 last year. After losing Tinsley, there is no more guarantee at the No. 1 Singles position.

Coaches Mr. Bryan Szalonek, Social Studies, and Mr. Joe Skavarek are trying to find a way to receive points in matches. They will try to stock up points in doubles, as that was what clinched the Sectional title last year.

The starting lineup for the Monday April 9 match at Griffith is Danica Mileusnic (11) at No. 1 Singles, Isabella Watts (10) at No. 2 Singles, Holly Pasko (12) at No. 3 Singles, Claire Gronek (12) and Colette Oboy (12) at No. 1 Doubles and Sydney Batnick (12) and Liberty Toweson (10) at No. 2 Doubles.