An Administrative Jump

When it was announced in late May that Principal Robert McDermott was leaving LC for a new position at Crown Point, it also gave Athletic Director Robin Tobias the opportunity for a new position.

At Monday’s School Board meeting, it was made official that Tobias would take over as Principal at LC for the 2012-2013 school year.

“Pursuing the opportunity to be a head principal has been an administrative goal of mine, and the opportunity to serve as principal for Lake Central High School, where I have been a student, teacher and coach at LC is a dream come true,” Tobias said.

In Tobias’s reign as Athletic Director, many dreams did come true for athletes, including State Championship victories for Boys Soccer (2010) and most recently Boys Baseball. But with this administrative change, Tobias has some other goals in mind.

“I am looking forward to fulfilling many roles, from enhancing the curriculum to overseeing a construction project to working with teachers to meet their expectations,” Tobias said. “Overseeing the accountability of student and staff performances will be an expectation of the Indiana Department of Education, but I feel extremely fortunate to have a dedicated and knowledgeable administrative staff to work with.”

Of course, this administrative shakeup brings up the question of who will replace Tobias as Athletic Director.

“The search for a new athletic director has begun. There is an application and interview process candidates will need to go through, and the candidate that stands out the most as someone who can meet the needs of our student-athletes will be offered the position. A new athletic director is expected to be in pace by mid-July,” Tobias said.

This is not Tobias’s first administrative position outside the athletic department. Tobias also spent time as the Assistant Principal at Plymouth High School and Dean of Students at Munster High School.