Splashing over the Mustangs

Alyssa Todd (10) smiles during the backstroke event. The girls defeated Munter 102-83.

The meets leading up to sectionals prepare teams for their post-season journey, especially when the team plays their future sectional and regional opponents. The girls varsity swim team defeated Munster 102-83 three weeks before their Sectional.

“[Today’s win] reaffirmed some of the things I was thinking as far as lineup for Sectionals. I can make a couple of tweaks here and there. A couple of spots I think we started to solidify. Our relays were good and all of our individual titles were great up and down the line. Our depth was good. Our two and three girls swam well and when it comes down to winning a sectional title those [positions] are going to matter,” Mr. Todd Smolinski, Social Studies, said.

The team improved on their record and placed in several positions. Munster is often a rival going into Sectionals, along with Lowell, Crown Point and Highland.

“I feel like we came together as a team today and moved on from some of the past few meets. It is a confidence booster for sectionals because they are in our sectionals. We got first in some of the top races that we are going to be racing in a few weeks during the championship season,” Jillian Murray (12) said.
During the season, the girls have two practices a day and often train. Before sectionals, they start to rest so they are able to perform at their full potential at the event.

“This is the fun part of the year for the girls because they start to rest. You spend all year training and working hard and now we can recover and peak for the [sectional] performance. For the next two weeks, we’ll start to get to that recovery stage and give these girls the rest they need,” Smolinski said.