Q & A: Kayla Longfield (10)

+Kayla+Longfield+%2810%29+poses+for+the+camera+near+the+auditorium.+Longfield+has+been+in+theater+for+five+years.
Kayla Longfield (10) poses for the camera near the auditorium. Longfield has been in theater for five years.

Q: How long have you been doing theater?

A: It is my fifth year in theater. I started in sixth grade.

Q: What made you interested in theater?

A: In fifth grade, I had one teacher for most of the day, and she always had us do a lot of skits.  This made me fall in love with acting, especially when we did “Cinderella’s Mock Trial” and I was cast as Cinderella. These experiences encouraged me to audition for the school play in sixth grade.

Q: What is your job for the upcoming musical, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”?

A: I am on set crew.

Q: What is your favorite part about set crew?

A: For this show, we have been doing a lot of painting, which I enjoy. The other people on set crew are also really cool, and I have fun spending time with them.

Q: What does set crew do?

A: We build the set for the show.  So far, we have built two basketball hoops and painted the stage to look like a gym for our current show.

Q: How often do you go to set crew?

A: Set crew generally meets every Tuesday and Wednesday after school.

Q: What have you learned from set crew and theater?

A: I’ve learned how to use various tools from being in set crew.  Acting has also helped me with presentation skills.

Q: Do you plan on doing set crew again?

A: Yes, I hope to do it again for the musical next year.

Q: Do you plan on staying in theater?

A: Definitely!  I would like to continue theatre throughout my whole life, if I can.

Q: What other areas of production would you like to be involved in and why?

A: I’ve already been on costumes, set crew, and cast, and I’ve had a lot of fun with all of these jobs.  I think it would be cool to try lights, sounds, or props, too.