Celebrating Senior Night

Back to Article
Back to Article

Celebrating Senior Night

Gabbie Devries (12) does a backflip on the beam. The girls celebrated senior night after the meet.

Amber Murray

On Wednesday, Feb. 13, the gymnastics team competed against La Porte and Valparaiso High School. The team defeated La Porte with a score of 108.95-77.85, but fell to Valparaiso with a score of 110.95-108.95. The team also honored their seniors by celebrating senior night.

“I am so sad that I am leaving the team. Throughout my four years of high school, gymnastics has been my favorite part. I have had such an amazing team so they have become a second family to me. When I started gymnastics my freshman year, I never thought that it would end, but now that it is coming to an end, it’s so sad to think about,” Jennifer Campos (12) said.

Throughout the season, the team has strived to improve every week. Even with a loss, the team showed they are tough competitors with a close score against Valparaiso.

“I think we improved and bonded as a team. Valpo was number two in the state and we kind of challenged them so I think we did amazing,” Madeline Bugg (10) said.

The girls have been preparing for their biggest meet of the year, DAC. The team is feeling really good going into the meet but know there are improvements that need to be made.

“I feel really good because we have done really well the last few meets and in practice and I think we will do good in DAC. I think going into DAC, we can be more confident in our skills and go for it more instead of holding back just to land it,” Allison Mybeck (10) said.

Allison Mybeck (10) placed third in all-around, Gabbie Devries (12) placed second and Cloe Amanatidis (9) placed first. The teams next meet is DAC, Saturday Feb. 16, at Portage High School.

• Cloe Amanatidis (9) pushes herself off the vault. This was Amanatidis’s first year on the team.

• Vanina Nguyen (10) swings around the uneven bars. The girls beat La Porte with a score of 108.95-77.85.

• Madeline Bugg (10) jumps up to grab onto the uneven bars. The team competed against two schools.

• Gabbie Devries (12) does a backflip on the beam. The girls celebrated senior night after the meet.