History in the Making

Sophia+Born+%2812%29+twists+off+of+the+vault.+The+vault+was+the+team%E2%80%99s+first+event+and+left+them+in+second+place+for+their+first+rotation.+
Sophia Born (12) twists off of the vault. The vault was the team’s first event and left them in second place for their first rotation.

On Sat. Mar. 3, 2019, the gymnastics team competed at regionals for the first time in a long time. It was hosted at Valparaiso high school and the ladies walked away with a score of 110.875, which broke the school record again this year, and was enough for them to get second place at the meet.

“I think we did very well and we had little mistakes, but we came in to the meet with goals and we met them. I think I could’ve done better, but I’m happy that I tried my best and placed,” Madeline Bugg (10) said.

The team was very excited that they were able to place second against some tough competitors. By being in the top three, the team will now be heading to state for the first time ever as a team.

“I was pretty sure we were going to state, but I didn’t think it would be easy because McCutchen and Portage are both really good teams,” Allison Mybeck (10) said.

Girls are already preparing for their upcoming competition. By evaluating on how they performed at regionals, they are creating goals that they wish to achieve for the next meet.

“I think i did good but could have done a little better. At state I hope to get top three all around and for our team to beat our team score and get top two,” Cloe Amanatidis (9) said.

Needless to say, the team is ready to make more history. The girls were happy and looking forward to continuing their gymnastics journey this year.

“I’m really happy with how [the meet] turned out because we get to go to state for the first time in program history,” Mybeck said.

After their amazing performance at regionals, the girls are ready to work just as hard for state. There, the team will be showing off their skills one last time.   

“I couldn’t be more happy with my team and myself. We work so hard in practice and finally seeing it pay off while we compete is the best feeling ever. I know that we are more than good enough, and we just have to prove ourselves one last time, and doing what we do best,” Sophia Born (12) said.

Hopefully, the girls will keep up the amazing work for their next meet. The gymnastics state finals will be held at Noblesville high school next weekend on Sat. March 9 and begin with opening ceremonies at 12:30 p.m. ET.