Sharing signs

Members+of+the+Sign+Language+Club+are+walking+through+completing+a+sign.+Some+signs+can+be+complex%2C+so+Flynn+gave+them+detailed+instructions+and+tricks+to+remember+them.+

Members of the Sign Language Club are walking through completing a sign. Some signs can be complex, so Flynn gave them detailed instructions and tricks to remember them.

Cori Lollis, Web Content Editor-in-Chief

Sign Language Club is a small, non-official club that meets in the library. They meet every other Wednesday and learn basic conversational signs led by senior Delanie Flynn. 

“I tried to make it an official club, but LC wouldn’t let me for some unknown reason. So the librarian lets me meet in here and I just try to get out as much word about it; but it’s mostly just my friends,” Flynn said. 

Nicole Rytczak (12) joined the club after being invited by her friend, Flynn. She thinks the club will be beneficial to her future in college and careers. 

“I like the meetings because they are pretty laid back since it’s not an official club and a bunch of my friends are in it. So it’s time for me to learn while I am with them,”  Rytczak said. 

Sign Language Club welcomes all students with little to no experience or a ton of experience. There are many benefits to learning this unique language.

“I think the benefit is that it expands who you are able to talk to. I feel like it is something interesting to learn because even though it is becoming more popular, not that many people do know it,” Flynn said. 

While several members only use sign language during meetings, others like Flynn use the language throughout their daily lives. 

“Outside of the club, some of the kids that I babysit have speech problems. So they use a couple words in sign language so that I can understand them. I also am around kids with disabilities that either can’t talk or they have trouble talking. They either have trouble speaking or they can’t speak so they use sign language, so I use that to communicate with them that way.’’ Flynn said.