Carrie Review

This remake of the 1976 horror movie deals with Carrie White discovering her supernatural powers and getting revenge on everyone who does her wrong. This movie was made in 2002.

Andie Kalemba, Print Staff

The popular Stephen King novel, Carrie, has been produced in other forms such as plays, musicals and movies. Carrie follows a young girl in high school being bullied because of her over-religious mother and household. Over time, she grows and discovers telekinesis powers. After a cruel prom prank, Carrie goes on a rage and destroys everyone and everything in her path.

Since we are in quarantine and can’t get out of the house that often, I set myself a mission to expand my Netflix shows and movies. I usually spend free time on Netflix rewatching episodes of Supernatural, The Office or baking shows. I got really bored really fast.

I wanted to try something new, so I discovered Carrie. I’ve heard of the horror book written by King and I’ve seen the musical adaptation of it at a local community theater last year. I knew a little bit about it, but not enough to know what the movie is actually about. I was a bit frightened before I watched it only because I’ve heard from others that it’s pretty scary. I saw that this horror film was actually rated TV-14, so I watched it.

I thought the movie was pretty good and I liked how they elaborated on the characters’ backstory and didn’t focus primarily on Carrie. The whole movie was really a flashback, and the present moments were after the prom mishap. Some of the characters were being investigated, but no one really knew the true story of what happened with Carrie. They just knew that what happend at the prom was unnatural.

The ending was very surprising to me. It was extremely shocking, but I did not feel satisfied.  I was unhappy with how the story stopped. I was so used to the musical adaptation that I saw and accepted that there were different adaptations of Carrie, so there were different versions of how the story ended.

Although it was out-of-character for me to watch a film such as Carrie, I still recommend it to anyone who wants a good storyline and incredible character backgrounds. It’s a bit slow, but a movie like this would be perfect for a rainy day or a late-night movie night with friends. I do have to warn that Carrie is not for the weak-hearted. There are a lot of queasy moments, making it a film that is not for everybody.