I Screamed So You Don’t Have To: Opinion Story

The Scream movies are a great way to spend a Halloween night. Produced in 1996, Scream was a unique movie of its time.

Daisy Monahu, Print Staff

With Halloween being right around the corner, scary movies are back! Classic Halloween movies include Halloween, IT, Ghostbusters, Halloweentown, and Friday the 13th. Whether you prefer suspenseful horror movies or comedy, there is a movie for everyone.

My personal favorite Halloween movie is Scream. The movie follows a high school student named Sidney Prescott who is being targeted by a killer with the name “Ghostface.” Prescott is a strong female character who is not an easy target. My favorite characters are Billy and Stu, who turn out to be “Ghostface” because they talk about how a serial killer would operate, and nobody suspected them. The movie has humor as well as some action-packed murder scenes. 

Prescott is not a fearful character. Most horror movies have a female character who runs around screaming, and if they manage to kill the murderer, it seems to be almost an accident. Over the course of Scream, the character of Sydney Prescott evolves from a typical scream queen to one who is able to take on the killers.

The characters in Scream make fun of the whole horror movie genre, which gives depth to the plot and adds a light comedic touch. A unique feature of the movie is its references to many other horror movies, which was a new twist. It also features a cameo by Linda Blair from The Exorcist, and the character of Freddy Kruger from A Nightmare on Elm Street. There are also passing references to Halloween. 

The Scream movies are a really great series to binge watch over a long weekend. Overall, it is engaging and entertaining.