Island Fever

Anastasia Rauch (9), Morgan Horgash (9) and Rachel Yorek (9) practice their dance routine. Auditions lasted for three hours and involved learning a song and a Caribbean-themed dance.

With the musical fast approaching, musically talented girls are putting their best foot forward for the chance to be casted in the spring show, “Once on This Island.”

Performing on stage is what all theater girls strive for, but first they must make it through auditions.

“Focus on what you want and take that adrenaline of being nervous, and drive it through your audition,” Mia Gjeldum (11) said.

The pressure is on for all those who audition, and it is necessary to be confident in yourself.

“Be ready for anything. Don’t get down on yourself. You have to take [criticism] with a grain of salt, because it is going to be hard, and you are going to be nervous, but it’s a great experience, and you shouldn’t let your nerves get you down,” Richanne Matthews (12) said.

Matthews, who is graduating this year, wants to make her year a special one.

“Every experience made is an experience worth keeping. So honestly, I am going through this year and musical with no regrets, and whatever happens, happens, and I am going to make the most of it,” Matthews said.

For some girls, auditioning for the musical is just a given.

“I love doing musicals. I love anything that involves singing and acting. It’s just kind of ritual to do so,” said Madeline Conley (10) said.

Although the musical is time to make new friends and learn new songs and dances, it is not all fun and games.

“There is a lot of work and time put into the musical, especially if you are an AP student or you have a lot of school work to deal with. It’s a lot of time out of your day and a lot of exercise, but it is worth it in the end,” Matthews said.

Coming off of having the lead role of Mrs. Hannigan in the musical, “Annie,” Gjeldum has big shoes to fill but is ready to accept the challenge.

“I think the expectation is higher, but I also think I have a little bit of an advantage, because they know what I’m capable of. That doesn’t mean I can take a breath at all; I have to step it up even more,because you grow every year,” Gjeldum said.