Sleepy Hollow

Filing into the Black Box theater from Thursday to Saturday, eager spectators await the Legend of Sleepy Hollow put on by the Lake Central Theatre Company. The play was divided into acts as the late 18th century unfolded on stage. 

The book adaptation follows the mystical Headless Horseman, a mysterious murderous villain. The 1820 book, written by Washington Irving, tells the tale of a small New York community named  Sleepy Hollow where the main character, Ichabod Crane, is notably an outsider. Although the play took several liberties in Irving’s story of the Headless Horseman and Ichabod Crane, they stuck to the main points of Brom Bones and his courtship of Katrina Van Tassel. 

The Lake Central Theatre Company’s story included the courtship between Ichabod Crane and Katrina Van Tassel and their tension with Brom Bones and his motives. However, the production is a lot more serious with the accusation of Ichabod being the Headless Horseman and even sentencing him to death. 

The production seemed to have made the light-hearted short story into one consisting of more seriousness and depth with the help of Ryan Faulkner as Ichabod Crane and Brianna Rodriguez as Katrina Van Tassel.