F Is For Friends

Lake Central Theater Company recently put on their new spring musical, “Spongebob Squarepants: The Broadway Musical”. They performed this for three consecutive days, including Feb. 28th, 29th and March 1st. This musical featured songs from artists such as David Bowie and Panic! At the Disco, which were practiced for three months in preparation for their performance. 

“The songs were all so well written, lyrically and melodically! We got to sing so many fun new styles,” Kasey Barron (11) said. 

This show told the story of a volcanic eruption that is set to hit BIkini Bottom and involves many other side stories and tropes. The musical includes the popular characters from the show Spongebob Squarepants and tells a spin off story of the show many love. Actor Liliana Zarakas (11) in the show talks about how they connect to the characters and how they relate it back to a show of their childhood.

“All the bright colors, set and characters really made this show come to life,” Zarakas said. 

Auditions were held for this show in late November and the cast has been working on singing, choreography and acting for three months to really bring the show together. With spending so much time on the show, the students learn how to work together and create bonds with each other. 

“I have made some of my strongest bonds with people through theater. It really does create friends that will last,” Skyler Scheuneman (11) said 

The program also includes many different types of crew positions, including: set, lights, props, costumes and sound. These students also worked hard to put the show together behind the scenes and make it really come together. Audrey Glasgow (12) discusses her time in crew during the musical.

“For this show, props were definitely difficult to make. Since it’s such a unique show, there were some off props that we needed to create from just our visions,” Glasgow said. 

Now that the musical is complete, the students begin preparation for freshman shows where upperclassmen direct and cast freshmen to be in their plays. This will encourage more students to join and get involved in next spring’s musical. 

“I really liked getting to have fun and make new friends during the musical. This musical was amazing to do with friends and it was just all of us being silly and fun together,” Zarakas sa