Spooky Environmental Club Meeting.

On Oct. 25, Mrs. Shupryt, science, hosted the second meeting for the Environmental Club with Madeline McNabney (10) and Brody Snyder (12) as the leaders in room E223.    

A number of items were covered including the announcement for the winner, Anne Mettert (9), of a recent competition involving picking up garbage around the campus. There were also prizes handed out for participation in the cleanup which consisted of reusable bags, metal straws, candy bars, and stickers. 

“We do eco-friendly things, and I just think It’s good for the environment, good for the health of our students, as we are contributing back to the world. One of the big events that we do, like the trash pickup, I just think that’s a good thing for the school in general,” Snyder said. 

Another fun event covered at the meeting was making halloween decorations out of trash such as paper towels, toilet paper rolls, and jugs. 

“I think it’s good because it just brings awareness to people of ways they can try to be more environmentally friendly, like you could go out and buy Halloween decorations but we’re making it out of stuff that would get thrown away anyway,” Mrs. Shupryt, Science, said. 

Lastly, Mrs. Shupryt put on a Halloween movie called “Howl’s Moving Castle” to round out the meeting. She also announced that she understood the schedule conflicts with the Academic Super Bowl and put out a QR code, so students could sign up for the bowl if they needed to. During the movie, one student, Ahmad Hijaz (12), made a carved pumpkin design on a toilet paper roll and put the item on the pole of the American flag. 

“Even though we do do stuff, it’s never really strict or stressful. Like, we have a lot of fun in this club. There’s a good sense of community here and [we] normally help the school, but today we’re doing a fun activity like making halloween decorations,” Hijaz said.