Slam Dunked

On a dark Tuesday night, the freshman boys basketball team battled against the Valparaiso Vikings. The game resulted in a score of 36-40. However, certain players felt the game could have been different with a few improvements. 

“We definitely could have talked more, played better defense and passed the ball better,” Isaac Ochoa (9) said. 

Being in the right mindset before a game can help participants concentrate on doing their best and even winning the game. Physical conditioning is a key element of game preparation, but having the right mental mindset is equally as important.

“I listen to music, shoot around a lot before the game, talk to my friends and eat food to prepare for a game,” Tyson Kluth (9) said.

Maintaining focus under pressure is also a crucial part for a player to succeed during a game. This focus helps players get in the correct demeanor to perform as best as they can. 

“I really just try to think about the plays that we run and focus on my assignment: who I’m going to guard and my job on offense,” Ochoa said. 

Striving for continuous improvement, the boys use post-game reflections as inspiration and guidance for their future games. Although the group works as a team, they all have specific roles  to make sure that the teammates  do well as a whole. 

“I think that I did okay. I think I could have done better for sure, but I always try to keep working and get better every game,” Ochoa said. 

The season is just beginning, so there are more chances and games down the road for the team. The time allows for performance growth across the next few months. 

“My goal for this season is to have fun with my teammates, have a winning record and win more of our games,” Kluth said.