Publications Students Take on San Antonio

The Publications students attended a conference in San Antonio from Nov. 15 to 18 in order to compete in onsite write-off contests and expand their knowledge of journalism.

“I learned a lot about coming up with new concepts to make our [yearbook] more original,” Holly Pearson (12) said.

The conference is filled with speakers from all over the country. Many of the speakers leave an impact on the students and they look forward to hearing what they have to say.

“My favorite memory would have to be reuniting with my teacher from Ball State [Journalism Workshops], Rod Satterthwaite. I attended one of his sessions and learned different methods to approach standard stories,” James Lafakis (10) said.

The conference was not all work and no play. The students had an opportunity to sit courtside while the San Antonio Spurs practiced for their Saturday night game.

“Being courtside before the game was an experience in and of itself, but the whole game was amazing. Their stadium is modern and enjoyable. The Spurs [is] one of my favorite teams. I was happy I got to see them play. They went hard and cruised to a 126-100 victory,” Lafakis said.

Many of the students hope to be able to attend the spring convention in San Francisco to bring home more victories in competitions and concepts to apply to the LC journalism program.