Best Buddies Dance Party Mixes Fitness, Fun and Friends

There was music blaring, a dance floor crowded with teenagers and a table piled high with snacks and discarded jackets. No, it was not Prom or Winter Formal. It was a Best Buddies dance party.

Best Buddies met in A123 on Monday to have a fun time with friends and enjoy a good workout. Mrs. Kim Freeman, Physical Education, provided a Richard Simmons workout video which was projected onto the wall for all to see. Best Buddies members danced, sang and enjoyed the company of their friends.

“The dance party was a lot of fun. I was really happy to see so many of the kids getting involved and having a great time dancing. A lot of the kids had way better dance moves than me,” Peter Boyd (12) said.

Boyd joined Best Buddies in high school because of his positive peer mentoring experience in middle school.

“I really enjoy it. I feel like it is a great opportunity to help out some really great kids,” Boyd said.

Boyd danced with his buddy, Jacob Kelley (11) along with many other students who attended the dance. Kelley showed off his breakdancing skills at the end of the dance, when everyone formed a circle around him to cheer on his moves.

“I feel like the kids had fun. It was a great workout for all of us,”Chase Lowden (10), Best Buddies Vice President, said.

Best Buddies meets in the cafeteria every other Monday. For more information, contact sponsors Mrs. Kathryn Clark, English, or Mrs. Freeman.