Theater Raises Awareness

Fundraisers have come in many shapes and forms, from selling muffins or flowers for BPA and the West Lake program to shooting hockey pucks for the Sports Marketing class. This weekend, members of Lake Central Theater company will be raising money in their own way: by fasting.

“We’re doing the 30 Hour Famine to raise awareness for the children in Africa who go a lot longer than thirty hours without food,” Raeanne O’Day (11) said.

After 7 a.m. on Friday morning, participating members cannot eat anything or drink anything besides water until Saturday afternoon. The participants, though, believe that it is worth experiencing.

“What I’m hoping to get out if is being able to see what kids who are starving go through everyday. It makes me realize how fortunate I am to have food and the other things I take for granted,” Morgan Saulesbury (12) said.

By raising awareness, members have collected money for the movement, which is put on by World Vision. World Vision is a humanitarian organization that collects money to support children – both in America and around the world.

“We have little pamphlets that [World Vision] sends us so that we can go around to our neighbors or to our teachers and say, ‘I’m participating in the 30 Hour Famine, which means I’m fasting for thirty hours and I’m raising money to send to children who don’t have food, and that just thirty dollars feeds a child for one month’” O’Day said.