Changes in Summer School

During the summer, the high school provides classes for students so they can either catch up or get ahead, allowing students to graduate on time or even early. But last summer, the summer school schedule was altered to accommodate the changes in the school due to construction work.

“We have [summer school] set at two different locations, so students can still get their PE credits and use the auto shop. There is no water in the Freshman Center and there is the need to shut down power at the school, so most classes can’t be held there,” Mr. Ed Beck, Assistant Principal said.

Due to construction, certain classes are held at Kahler Middle School and others at Lake Central. This provides a way for students to still take classes such as PE because the pool area is under construction. Students also have the opportunity to use the classes and facilities only available at LC, such as the auto shop. Although the changes create some confusion, it has not caused much trouble.

“It’s better this year [than last year]. Only two parents out of about 800 showed up at LC thinking their child’s classes were there,”Mr. Beck said.

There being no provided transportation, there is another alternative. Students have the choice to take certain classes online, choosing from 71 different offered classes on the online academy. Classes from the Indiana Online Academy began June 10.