Freshman boys basketball trumps Trojans

Kelly Paulson and lakecentralnews

With a nearly perfect record of 11-2, the freshman boys basketball team continued the success of the season with a win of 38-19 against Chesterton on Thursday, Jan. 31.

“[The team is] very athletic. [The boys are] able to run up and down the court very well and there are very few teams who I think match us man-for-man athletically. We’ve got five or six guys who can really run. Defensively, because of [the team’s] quickness and athleticism, we’re able to put a lot of pressure on the ball and cause the opponent a lot of problems that way,” Assistant Coach Brian Tomson said.

The team’s defensive strength paired with strong offensive accuracy led to a clean win against the Trojans.

“Some highlights of the game were Austin Atkins’s (9) step-back jumper to end [the first half] and Nate Edvardsen’s (9) 3 at the buzzer to end the 3rd quarter,” Joseph Graziano (9) said.

Although the freshman boys have a nearly perfect game record, they are preparing to reclaim victories against the two teams they fell short to this season.

“The goal, especially on the freshman level, is just that you continue to improve and get better and better each and every week which is nice with the younger kids because they will get better. We’ve lost two games so far [against LaPorte and Munster] and we get to play both of those teams again, so the ultimate goal is to get those games, make sure we finish strong and even up the series,” Tomson said.

The next freshman boys basketball game will be held at LaPorte High School at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 4.