Anatomy students classify bare bones

In the second part of the lab, Austin Chekaluk (11) classifies a human bone. The students were required to complete lab questions prior to starting the lab.

On Nov. 11, Mrs. Roberta Harnish’s, Science, third hour Anatomy and Physiology students delved beyond the basic anatomy of the human body and chose to learn about the intricate functions of human bones.

Classfying bones in the human body forced students to learn about how their own bodies were structured

“I learned what my ulna looks like, which is good, because I broke that when I was in second grade,” Alyssa Scanlon (11) said.

For the students, this lab provided a bridge to learning more about human body structure.

“This is the introduction to our study of the skeletal system, so you need to understand the basic part of bone structure so that you can look at how the shapes of the bones influence their functions and their jobs in the body,” Mrs. Roberta Harnish, Science, said.

Unlike other sciences, anatomy gives students a chance to study physical concepts.

“I think [this lab was] interesting because it’s not like a theoretical concept. It’s actually real life, so when you look at something, you’re like, ‘Wow, that is inside of me,’” Scanlon said.