A Repeat Out of Reach

LC has a nationally ranked boys soccer team. That is indisputable. However, everyone has an off night, especially in a downpour that makes the other end of the field impossible to see. In a regional game, those days can cost you a title.

Thursday’s game against Crown Point was the first regional game in LC’s quest for a state championship repeat.

“We warmed up like any other game. We were not worried, and we went out confident,” Kyle Uzubell (12) said.

Crown Point came out hard and scored early in the first half of the game. With about five minutes left in the half, the rain came and changed the course of the game. The boys would play the rest of their game on a field that resembled a swimming pool.

“We definitely would have played better if it was not raining so hard,” Ethan Donovan (12) said.

Even in the rain the team played with intensity that caused a number of yellow cards. In the ninth minute of play in the second half, their intensity paid off when Joshua Crague (11) sent the soaking fans into a frenzy and scored LC’s lone goal.

“After we scored, we had a second life. We went back out and did what we needed to do,” Uzubell said.

They were successful in doing what they needed to do until an unlucky play when a Crown Point player deflected a kick from LC and scored with just over two minutes left. Indians lost 1-2, and drenched fans and players alike went home heart broken.

“I am kind of sad. No, not kind of-I am sad. I am a senior, and this was our last year,” Donovan said.