Loving the pane

Kyle Mathews (12) burnished copper foil onto the edges of his glass pieces. Without the foil, solder would ball up and roll off of the glass instead of securing it together.

In Mr. Paul Volk’s, Art, 3D Art class, the students have been pushing forward in making stained glass creations. The students have been working for many weeks to complete them in time for winter break.

“[The project has] gone really well. I could say the grinding has been a bit of a pain, but other than that it’s been really well,” Kyle Mathews (12) said.

The assignment was that students had to make a design that would be no more than 60 pieces. Their only other limit was their imaginations and the due date.

“[I am making] two giraffes. They’re my favorite animal and my sister’s. It’s also my boyfriend’s favorite animal so I was going to give it to him,” Andrea Jimenez (10) said.

Though simple in theory, the project is proving to be more of a challenge than what the class was prepared for.

“[Mine is] a mini Burton snowboard. I didn’t think it would be this hard,” Cody McCall (12) said.

With the deadline approaching, those who are not close to finishing must put in the time after school to work or risk failing the semester.

“I have a lot a reshaping to do. It’s the Devil May Cry symbol for [my boyfriend] Allan Hearn (12). He’s been under a lot of stress lately, and I wanted to do something nice for him,” Opal Sanchez (11) said.