Horns + Rhythm = Scholarships

One of the features of Lake Central’s Jazz Ensembles is the opportunity to perform a solo. Most of the solos performed were preselected in class time, but a few of the solos performed at the scholarship dinner were improvised on site. Pictured left to right are: Leslie Lopez (11), Nicholas Perez (12), Kenneth Wolfrum (11), Eliasart Rodriguez (11), and Mateo Morales (11).

On Friday, March 6, Lake Central’s Jazz Ensembles performed at the Halls of St. George at the 11th annual Scholarship dinner.

“I thought the performance went well Friday night.  [There was] a great audience, great participation and great energy.  It was a fun night,” Mr. Christopher Harmon, Music, said.

The purpose of the dinner was to raise money for graduating seniors who qualify for scholarships through the band program. The Jazz I ensemble performed eleven pieces and Jazz II ensemble performed nine

pieces. Both Jazz I and Jazz II had surprises in many of the tunes they played. Some songs featured alumni of the Lake Central Band Program, improvised solos and the use of toilet plunger cups as sound-muffling devices.

“It was great to see that [the alumni] could come back and be welcome jazz and do their own solos as well as being able to perform with the lead trumpet, trombone, and alto saxophone,” Michael Johnson (10) said.

The concert was a big hit for the members of the featured bands, their parents and other attendees. The dinner lasted over two hours, and from the enthusiasm of the full audience, the two hours that the bands played made the several hours of work in class worth the effort.