The road ends here

Nichole Heusmann (12) speaks to Mason Crawford (10) about their parents’ absence. Crawford’s character later made dummies that looked like their parents to help him cope.

The cast and crew of “Every 17 Minutes the Crowd Goes Crazy” along with other members of the Lake Central Theatre Company traveled to Bethel College in Mishawaka, Ind. on Nov. 21 to compete in the Indiana Thespians Regional Conference. Although the show did not place, the actors and technicians were proud of their performance.

“The performance was a success. We, as a cast, knew the possibilities we could accomplish by giving it our all. I think viewers were pleased with the attributes of each character. All the actors developed a connection with their parts,” Craig Bronson (12) said.

The show, which tells the story of teenagers whose parents have left them to bet on horse races, allowed the actors to connect emotionally with their audience.

“It was a little hard at [the first rehearsals] because all I wanted to do was laugh, but eventually the emotion of the show sucked me in, so it was almost effortless by the end of the production. I’m glad I was able to share that feeling with the audience,” Olivia Throckmartin (10) said.

Nichole Heusmann (12) won Best Actress and an All-Star award for her emotional performance as Maureen, the show’s lead character.

“I was so shocked and excited [when I won]. I always believe in myself to do a good job, but I never thought I could ever accomplish this, so it was a very pleasant surprise,” Heusmann said.

Because the show did not receive first, second or third place, it will not advance to the State Conference. Although the cast and crew were disappointed, they learned from their experience.
“Even if the judges’ outcomes aren’t what you wanted them to be, you should still be proud of all the work and dedication you put into the show. Even though we didn’t advance to State, I’m still proud of all of us because we put on a fantastic performance,” Erini Collaros (12) said.