Prepping for State

Jay Chopra (12), Samantha McCuaig (12), Madelyn Ackerman (12) and Matthew Tao (12) prepare to start the Science Olympiad meeting. This was their final meeting before State.

Saturday, Feb. 27, Science Olympiad qualified for State on March 19 at Indiana University Bloomington. On March 17, Science Olympiad had their last practice before heading out to State.

“I am in all of the study events, which is where you take a test. Some of the events I am in aren’t classes I have taken, so I have been reading some anatomy books and taking quizzes online,” Sarah Hermanek (11) said.

Thirty-six high schools and 36 middle schools as well as Lake Central are making an appearance at State.

“There are 24 different events and three different types. There are study events which are just tests, kind of like a class, lab events which is where you take a test and also do a lab with it [and] build events where you build something beforehand and you bring it with. They all go into different events of science,” Sarah Hermanek (11) said.