LC pins Penn in Regional Championship

Under a bright moon in LaPorte, Ind., the LC Boys Baseball program achieved its first IHSAA Regional victory since 2004.

“The whole team is excited. It feels great to finally get over this hump from last year,” Taylor Lehnert (12) said.

After losing to Elkhart Central in the Regional Semifinal last year, the boys were determined to make a comeback this year. After a close, intense seven innings, LC was victorious over Elkhart by a score of 2-1.

“It feels good. It was nice getting revenge on Elkhart,” Ryan Burvan (11) said.

After nearly four hours of waiting, the Indians took on the Penn Kingsmen for a night to remember. After Penn scored a run in the second inning, the Indians answered back with RBIs from Anthony Fushi (12) and Austen Wagoner (12) bringing the score to 3-1. The Kingsmen were left without an answer, making the Indians the 2012 IHSAA Regional Champions.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I’ve got to live up most of it right now. I might not get to again,” Alec Olund (10) said.

Although the boys want to live it up, the season isn’t over yet, and it is hope that it will not be for a while.

“We don’t plan on stopping now,” Coach Jeff Sandor said. “There is no losing in our plans.”

If all goes well, the boys look to capture more accomplishments in the upcoming weeks of the postseason.

“It’s a great accomplishment, but it’s not really an accomplishment unless we get a state title,” Chase Fieldhouse (12) said. “We’ve got work to do, but it isn’t over yet.”