LC Shuts Down Munster

Members of the Boys Varsity Football team celebrate after Brian Rice (11) scored a touchdown in the first moments of the game.

In a sea of black, LC students and faculty cheered the Varsity Boys Football team to victory.

The boys defeated the Munster Mustangs in the opening game of the season by a score of 40-0. Running back David Yancey (12) led the team in scoring, making two of the game’s six touchdowns…all while overcoming strep throat.

“I had strep on Tuesday and missed practice Thursday, but I had to come out and do my best,” Yancey said.

Although Yancey managed to score two touchdowns, one in the second quarter and one in the third, he still believes improvements can be made.

“We’re never satisfied [with how we do]. We’ve got a lot of room for improvement,” Yancey said.

This is a common belief among the team, and it comes from Coach Brett St. Germain, the man who brought our team from losses upon losses to a Duneland Athletic Conference Championship.

“We think we have a good team, but you gotta keep working. The schedule gets harder from here,” St. Germain said.

Despite the work that needs to be done, St. Germain still has a good outlook for the season.

“If you take everything into consideration and win 40-0, it’s a good sign. I’m happy for my kids, but they should know they have more work to do,” St. Germain said.

The boys will take on the Cardinals of East Chicago Central in East Chicago on Aug. 24.