LC Wins against EC; Record Improves to 2-0

Members of the varsity football team stare at the action on the field. The team defeated East Chicago Central 49-6 on Friday.

East Chicago’s football field lit up Friday night when they faced the Lake Central Indians.

Spectators predicted LC would shutout the Cardinals; however, the Indians had a slow start in the first half.

Running back David Yancey (12) made a bobbled catch and ran 20 yards to score LC’s first touchdown. East Chicago came right back and scored with 14 seconds left in the first quarter. Yancey scored again in the second quarter, leaving Timothy Ritchie (12) to kick both extra points, giving them a halftime score of 14-6.

The game heated up during the third quarter, when three players were ejected due to physical violence.

“I didn’t think it was a real fight. I thought the refs would break it up.” Alec Olund (11) said.

Alec Olund (12) and Austin Todd (12), LC players, were both ejected after being accused of personal fouls.

“That was the worst call I’ll probably ever see. They definitely made the wrong call, because I didn’t even touch an opposing player,” Olund said.

After the third quarter hype slowed down, Lake Central took an impressive lead, giving Brandon Scott (10) a chance to play on varsity.

“I thought this was my one shot to prove myself on varsity and to the coaches,” Scott said.

Scott scored three touchdowns during the second half, which contributed to the Indians victory of 49 to 6.