After-School Gas Leak Empties Building

At 4:24 p.m. on Sept. 10, LC was evacuated due to a gas leak.

An announcement was made over the intercom to notify students and staff who were still in the building. All remaining people were told to evacuate to the north end of campus, near the football and soccer fields.

“A digger struck a gas pipe on the property next to Taco Bell, across from the LCHS fieldhouse. Police and Fire Department personnel arrived on scene quickly to assess the situation,” Principal Robin Tobias said.

Once the situation was contained, students and staff were allowed back into the building to a specific location to change clothes, gather personal belongings and leave.

“At no time were any lives in danger, but initial evacuation precautions were taken until further details by emergency crews were available,” Tobias said.

At approximately 7:30 p.m., NIPSCO workers began work on fixing the broken pipe. According to Tobias, the broken pipe was not a pipe that feeds natural gas to the high school.

“School is expected to continue as usual tomorrow,” Tobias said.