Freshman Football Falls to Crown Point, 13-12

Sean Griffin (9) carries the ball as a Crown Point Bulldog attempts to tackle him. The Indians scored shortly after Griffin’s drive.

With a final score of 13-12, the freshman football team lost to the Crown Point Bulldogs last Thursday.

The Bulldogs drew first blood, leading the game 7-0 until Brian Sytsma (9) scored the first Lake Central touchdown. The Indians then tried for a two-point conversion, but failed, falling behind the Bulldogs 7-6 at half-time.

“[After Crown Point scored] It gave everyone a boost to get another touch down and kept them up tempo and enthusiastic to even win more,” Sean Griffin (9) said.

With five minutes left in the game, the Bulldogs scored, leading the Indians 13-6.

“It [the touchdown] set people straight and made them think about how the game was going to go,” Tanner Yepsin (9) said.

The Indians then came back and scored a touch down, but their attempt at a two-point conversion was again stopped by the Bulldogs.

Trailing 13-12 with two minutes left in the game, the Indians recovered their onside kick. Then, with eight seconds left, the Indians attempted a field goal to take the lead. However, it was no good leaving the score 13-12.

“I think if we work hard and do what we’re supposed to do at practice and study our plays and listen to our coaches we should do good,” Griffin said.

The Freshman team’s next game is on Thursday, Sept. 20, against the LaPorte Slicers, at the Lake Central Burial Grounds.