Tennis Team Holds Own Against Tough Competition

Todd Banvich (12) goes for a backhand shot in Lafayette on Saturday. Banvich lost in the 3 singles championship.

Even though they rose before the crack of dawn, the boys varsity tennis team managed to place sixth in an eight-team tournament in Lafayette on Saturday., September 8.

The team diverged from their regular weekday schedule and traveled to Boilermaker country on Saturday morning. The tournament, which was held at Lafayette Jefferson High School and McCutchen High School, provided a tough test for the Tribe.

“The tournament is a great experience, because it allows you to face a variety of players,” Peter Boyd (12) said.

Boyd, the captain of the squad, had some words of encouragement for the Indians in their upcoming matches.

“We saw a lot of great players, and hopefully the team can take something away from the experience and be more motivated to place higher in our next tournament,” Boyd said.

Todd Banvich (12) was defeated in the 3 singles championship. He finished 2-1 on the day.

“[To succeed], I got my proper rest. I continued to be able to make passing shots as well as a few shots down the line. I hit a few aces and kept hitting the ball to my opponents’ backhands,” Banvich said.

LC has a tournament at Delta High School in Muncie Saturday, Sept. 22.