Coming Home to a Win

Coming off of a disappointing loss in Michigan City, varsity boys football returned to the Burial Grounds determined to win what would be the final Homecoming for seniors.

“We tried to show the world that we’re still the LC Indians and should be the No. 1 team in the region,” David Yancey (12) said.

The Indians started off the game with a scoreless first quarter. After a touchdown from Yancey, the Indians took a 7-0 lead. After another touchdown from Yancey in the third quarter, the Indians went into the fourth ready for some action for the fans at their Homecoming game.

“It meant the world to me to come put my hardest on my last Homecoming. I told all the team and the seniors that this is our last Homecoming. This is our last time to see all the decorations in the halls and the fans all out here cheering for us. We can win Homecoming,” Yancey said.

With touchdowns each from Riley Arvanitis (12) and Brian Rice (11), and another from Yancey, the Indians brought the final score to 35-12, taking their second consecutive Homecoming win.

“It was a huge win for us. We were battling against ourselves through the week. I’m extremely proud of them,” Coach Brett St. Germain said.

The boys will take on the Merrillville Pirates in Merrillville on Friday, Oct. 5.