Indians Take Down Portage in First Sectional Game

LC Indians play on the incredibly muddy field under the Friday night lights. Despite the terrible conditions, the Indians pulled off a win.

The LC Indians beat Portage 16-0 in a battle on the mud pit on Friday, Oct. 19.

“Friday, we played very well especially for losing David [Yancey]. It’s very hard to replace him, you really can’t. We had people step up in big spots and we really played like a team,” Alec Olund (11) said.

Olund scored the first touchdown of the game on a short run.

“I personally think that I played very well, especially with the field circumstances. It was hard to play on, but I think I played well on it,” Olund said.

The varsity team pulled out a tough win in their first sectional game of the season. The rain also made the field extremely muddy, making it difficult to stay under control.

“I felt like this was my best game. I had an interception. It felt pretty good knowing that the team scored after I got the interception,” Mitchell Oskam (11) said.

After Oskam’s interception, Riley Arvanitis (12) scored the final touchdown of the night, putting LC ahead 14-0. A late safety in the game changed the score to 16-0.

“I think I did pretty well. I got over 200 yards and a touchdown, which is pretty well for anyone. I think I did my job and did what I was supposed to do,” Arvanitis said.

All of the players agreed that they will continue to practice hard this week in order to beat Crown Point. The next sectional game will be a home game on Friday, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m.