Dual Credit Teacher of the Year and Concerned Parent

Standing at the podium, Mike Kovacevic, Lake Central parent, goes over the different books provided in the high school’s library. Kovacevic said there should be more books regarding Jesus Christ.

The Lake Central School Board called the meeting to order on August 21, 2023. The panel went over new policies, recognized dual credit teacher of the year, mentioned the 5k run happening, took one public comment and discussed updates around the school. 

“The 5k walk is being held September 9, and again that is in honor of our most recent graduate Danaya, but we are hoping others can identify heroes in their lives and come and represent those heroes in their lives,” Doctor Janice Malchow, Lake Central Education Foundation, said. 

Doctor Larry Veracco ,Superintendent, introduced Dual Credit teacher of the year, Mrs. Dawn Combis. She taught a dual credit business class through Ivy Tech. The college nominated her for her teaching skills and overall personality. Erin Novak, head principal, introduced the successful instructor at the podium. 

“I want to recognize Mrs. Combus because she definitely deserves this moment. Mrs. Combis goes above and beyond for our community and for our students. She’s always working to get kids ready for college, which is one of our primary goals here at Lake Central High School,” Novak said. 

Mike Kovacevic, parent, said he is angry about the lack of books about Jesus. He looked through the online library catalog and he was frustrated by the novels he was seeing. Kovacevic was bothered because there were lots of books on other topics and not on Jesus Christ.

“The name of where most of the school district lies is in the town of Saint John named after the person who baptized Jesus Christ. I just happened to look through your online library and there was one book that pops up when you type in Jesus Christ and it calls him a charismatic cult leader,” said Kovacevic.